Technically when you exceed the maximum amperage of the electrical circuit, a power point overload occurs. Running appliances that draw high amps or plugging too many appliances into one power point causes the overload. The Albany, NY, home inspections recommend not to overload your power points as overloading is a serious issue and can result in a fire or a short circuit. Read our guide to learn more about how to avoid an overload situation in your home or office.
Appliances that Uses Most Power
We are using more electricity than ever as our lives are becoming more dependent on technology. Most of the home in the U.S. contain some electricity guzzlers but thanks to the companies who are now producing more energy-efficient products. Washing machine, home entertainment system, clothes dryer, cook-top, kitchen appliances, and hair dryers are big users of electricity, so it will be wise not to plug more devices in one power point.
How to Avoid Overload
The Albany, NY, home inspection suggest spreading the devices and appliances around the house in order to avoid overloading. Using power boards in terms of opening up more space in a power point is not a good idea. It is best to think about when you use the most power and try to distribute your power usage at different times of the day.
Overloads can be very disruptive and they can cause permanent damage to your devices or home. An overload can trip the circuit breaker to avoid any serious harm but a power surge can easily fry your appliances. However, if you experiencing frequent tripping it is best to contact a professional to check bad wiring issues.
If you have taken all the steps to avoid overload and still experiencing it, it is better to call in a professional electrician from the Albany, NY, home inspection.
The Author Kevin Maxwell is the owner and operator of Maxwell Home Inspection Services, LLC. Kevin Maxwell is a certified Home Inspector located in Albany NY that has performed over 6000 Inspections