There is nothing that can beat a wood-burning fireplace, although other chimneys have their strong points, especially when it comes to the ease of use.However, a fireplace that draws smoke can also lead to a smelly, sooty home interior. It is important to understand that if you failed to maintain your chimney it can cause a chimney fire. The cause of the chimney fire is dirtiness and the Albany, NY, home inspection recommend learning about how to clean the fireplace can help to prevent any fire damage.
Cleaning the Chimney
When it comes to chimney cleaning, it is best to contact a chimney technician or you can clean it by yourself. If the chimney has not been cleaned in the past, it is best to let a chimney technician from the Albany, NY, home inspection clean it for you to ensure your safety.The tools that are needed to clean the chimney are as follows:
Seal Up First
Open the damper and cut off a plastic sheet, about 4 to 5 feet long and tape it on the floor in front of the chimney with duct tape. Similarly, put a 12 inches long piece of sheet plastic on the opening of the fireplace to seal it against debris.
Climb the Roof
Climb up the roof by using an extension ladder with all your tools. Remove the caps of the chimney and scrub the first extension rod by starting at the top and slowly working downwards with a cleaning brush.
Finish the Process
After cleaning all the rods replace the chimney caps and exit the roof. Now, peel off the plastic and clean the visible fallen debris.
This process is extremely complex and it requires special assistance that is why it will be wise to call in a chimney-cleaning technician from the Albany, NY, home inspection to save your time.
The Author Kevin Maxwell is the owner and operator of Maxwell Home Inspection Services, LLC. Kevin Maxwell is a certified Home Inspector located in Albany NY that has performed over 6000 Inspections.